Black Garlic – Mushroom Dip
Black Garlic - Mushroom Dip
- 1 large or 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 12½ ounces (355g) mushrooms (like button and cremini), roughly chopped
- 1 head black garlic, peeled and cloves roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon marsala or sweet red wine
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- Put the onions in a dry pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring often, until any liquid they exude evaporates.
- Add the butter and, once it has melted, lower the heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the mushrooms and black garlic and sauté for another 5 to 10 minutes, until very soft and dark.
- Stir in the marsala and balsamic and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and pulse until you get the consistency you like (for a chunky or smooth dip).
- Allow to cool fully (refrigerate to speed things up).
- Put in a bowl with the yogurt and mix well to combine.
- Serve immediately or cover, refrigerate, and serve within 24 hours.