Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup with Chorizo Sausage
Jump to recipe
Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup with Chorizo
- 4 slices bacon (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large or 2 small red onions, cut into chunks
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into ¼” slices
- 1 medium bunch kale, removed from ribs and cut into large pieces
- 2 Tbsp bacon fat OR extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 stick (about 6 oz) chorizo OR veggie sausage, quartered lengthwise, then cut into ¼” slices
- 2 quarts chicken (or vegetable) broth
- In a large, heavy skillet (cast iron preferred) cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper towels. Drain all but 2 Tablespoons. Add chorizo to the bacon fat and sauté for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add the onions and sauté for 5 more minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 3 minutes.
- In a large sauce pan, begin heating the chicken broth over medium heat. Remove everything from the skillet and add to the chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer.
- While the broth is coming to a boil, add the potatoes to the skillet and sauté on medium heat for 5 minutes, allowing them to brown a bit. Return the broth to a boil, add the potatoes and kale to the broth and cook until potatoes are just tender. Reduce to a simmer, add the cannellini beans and heat thoroughly, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with fresh, chopped parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute olive oil for the bacon fat and add about ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika. If you cannot find a veggie chorizo, use a different veggie sausage and add about a ¼ teaspoon of chili powder to mimic heat of the chorizo. You can add more or less of the seasonings to suit your taste.