Print Roasted Butternut – Kale Soup Ingredients 1 butternut squash, 2 ½ – 3 pounds 3 quarts vegetable or chicken broth 1 small onion, cut into large chunks Salt and Pepper, to taste 1 large shallot, chopped 6 cloves garlic, crushed with a knife 1 […]
Month: September 2018
Print Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup with Chorizo Ingredients 4 slices bacon (optional) 4 cloves garlic, sliced 1 large or 2 small red onions, cut into chunks 1 pound potatoes, cut into ¼” slices 1 medium bunch kale, removed from ribs and cut into large […]
- large bunch kale
- 3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced shallot or other, mild onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbl apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbl apple cider or water
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Remove center rib from kale leaves.
- Roll up leaves and thinly slice crosswise.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add shallot and salt and cook, stirring frequently, for 5-10 minutes or until shallot is softened and beginning to brown.
- Toss in kale and add vinegar, cider, brown sugar, and cranberries.
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until kale begins to wilt.
- Serve warm garnished with toasted walnuts.